background

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

If you really knew me...

A speaker came to our school today to teach us about sportsmanship or something equally irrelevant to my life, and for the second half we were split into random groups.  So there I was, sitting with a group of people who I (with three exceptions) have probably said about 10 sentences to in my life, and the speaker tells us to answer this question: If you really knew me you would know....
Ho. ly. Crap. I was scared, and I had no idea what to say.  We went around the circle, everybody obviously uncomfortably and not sharing anything deep...so like a brainless zombie, I followed suit and said, "If you really knew me you would know that I plan on spending at least another year in Honduras." Sure, this is true and it is important in my life...but it's not what I should have actually said. After the whole exercise was over, I thought of a list of things I should have said:
If you really knew me you would know that I believe in Jesus Christ and that he is the only way to true happiness.
If you really knew me you would know that I used to hate myself, but I don't anymore.
If  you really knew me you would know that I grew up without a dad because mine is an alcoholic and abandoned me.
If you really knew me you would know that I truely believe that we don't have many years left on this Earth.
So, If I really knew you, what would I know?